The Meindl Island is the most awarded outdoor boot in history.
The flagship of the Meindl outdoor range, the Meindl Island was originally conceived as a all-terrain boot for Europe's specialist mountain warfare troops. Since inception in the nineties it has undergone continuous improvement and refinement. This has led it to become the worlds most awarded outdoor boot in history.
This version has been specifically tailored to the typical ladies foot form. Slightly higher heel-toe drop, petite mid section with slightly elevated arch support and lower cuff around the achilles.
The Island is also probably the most copied boot design in the world. But no other manufacturer comes close to Meindl’s dedication to quality and design! The Island is designed to function as a general purpose outdoor boot and cover as much of the spectrum of terrain and use types as possible. Ideal for movement across broken or steep terrain when load carriage is medium to heavy (15-30kg+) and equally flexible for use on trails, paths and even around the office! The boots are most at home in temperate environments.
A favourite boot amongst hundreds of thousands of Meindl fans the world over. You won’t go wrong with a pair of Islands.
Advice from Meindl
- This boot does not suit all ladies. We routinely fit ladies into the standard fit Island and the wide fit Guffert. If you have had too narrow shoes in the past, you don't need them again now. Just let us know how you like your fit and we'll pull out the stops to get you fitted correctly.
- This boot is awesome for activities in temperate environments. In very hot environments it may be a little warm on the feet, so wear thinner wicking socks there.
- The boot is an ideal choice when you are carrying medium to heavy loads (15-30+kg).
- When wearing these during parachute or fast rope insertion, it is recommended to apply tape over the open lace eyelets to prevent snags and hang-ups.
- Ankle support is substantial in these boots but most users end up wearing them in every situation and terrain because they are just so comfy. The boot shaft is flexible enough to allow driving.
- Apply Meindl Sport Wax liberally to the heel flex zone, the exposed seams and toe flex zones to prevent leather drying and cracking in these high wear zones.
- Sport Wax makes the leather go several shades darker and gives it an oily repellent finish.
- Take care to read the Nubuk leather care instructions in this website and don’t dry them too fast by the fire in the hut 😉!
Meindl Sport Wax